Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Top 3 Ways to Spend Time

 As the title suggest, time is like money. For the most part we spend time with people and on things that will add value to our lives. However, there are times the experiences purchased don't measure up to expectations advertised by the heart and by the time we realize it, we've either overpaid or been robbed. The following are the top three ways I spend time:

1. Obligations
As a writer, I know what it means to pledge time to meeting a client's deadline or spending limit. In order to produce a piece (literary experience) worth the wait, I budget my waking hours with a schedule scripted to ensure that I'm able to afford all my daily obligations. However, there have been times that I've strayed from my budget and paid attention to things I shouldn't have (distractions). At the end of the day, as a result of my weak resolve, I find myself broke (out of time) or not having enough time to get my work due adequately. Either the job is done below my set standard or not complete at all.

Sometimes certain obligations dictate how much attention each time-valued object of a given budget actually gets, producing, with the usually reluctant consent of my will, a list of priorities. As a dad with a three year old son, priorities, many times, need to be redefined. Especially, in the morning, before I head out for work and he cries for me to stay home. I pay for this painful but unavoidable momentary expense, with the hope of giving him a better future, which includes more time to follow his dreams. At this time -quitting isn't an option.

2. Saved-time
As parents, we are willing to go through some things (pay it forward) so our children won't have to. Consider the sacrifice Christ made over 2000 years ago on behalf of all mankind. He experienced the expense (the cross) and glory (resurrection and ascension) of a sinless life, affording anyone who would follow his teaching the costly experience of eternal life. Jesus' selfless act has help those who believe to save time. Now, we have opportunities for good stored up for the right moment (Ephesians 2:10). When we give our time to God, the Lord holds it until needs arise for us to shine His light before mankind.

Note: Efficiency (right living), which comes with great expense, always leads to savings, usually for those you love. Sin, on the other hand, always promises great experiences at cheap prices but instead leads to a sold soul and eternal loss.

3. Redeemed-time
As someone saved, I look back at the times I wasted in sin, settling for less, foolishly expecting more. When I was living sinfully, my soul belonged to the one that controlled my will and budgeted my time. It took the message of Salvation to show me that the saving work of Christ on the cross had redeemed me, long ago, from my obligation to sin. Now, I feel like I've been given a second chance at life, spending wisely this time Jesus redeemed for me. I believe those hours the devil stole, were snatched back on calvary long before I breathed my first breath and wasted my first second.

I realize, now, that my time has value, and that every moment I experience free from sin is the result of the expense Christ paid, for me. The new experiences that redeemed-time affords my soul doesn't leave me feeling empty and hope-deprived. And when I do get sad, it's always for a higher purpose. With redeemed-time, everything I experience draws me closer to knowing Him. Why delay or waste any more time hesitating about making Jesus your lord and savior. Seriously, consider living a redeemed life before the earthly time you’ve been blessed with -runs out.

No comments: